In preparation for ASEAN economic integration in 2015 the ASEAN Confederation of Employers (ACE) adopted an Employers’ policy framework for sustainable labour migration in the ASEAN region. In this framework ACE identifies five key areas requiring the attention of ASEAN businesses and policymakers in order to achieve effective labour mobility in 2015 and beyond:
- better matching of workers’ skills and employers’ labour demands;
- increasing productivity and migrant workers’ safety and health at the workplace;
- effective recruitment procedures to facilitate labour migration;
- enhancing competitiveness through embracing diversity; and
- a commitment to combating forced labour and human trafficking.
This paper will outline in broader detail ACE’s policy positions on skills matching and labour mobility in the AEC to be taken forward by ACE members when engaging national policy-makers on the necessary reforms, policies, and programmes, required for effective integration in 2015.